[Agda] [HoTT] Re: Why do we need judgmental equality?

Henning Basold henning at basold.eu
Wed Feb 20 00:15:08 CET 2019

I'd like to add my two cents: Thorsten mentioned in a previous email
that function extensionality should hold because of the view on
functions as coinductive type/codata. In fact, this goes down to the
question what coinduction is. The category theoretical view provides
one possible answer, namely that bisimilarity implies equality.
Applying this to functions, bisimilarity says that two functions are
point-wise equal. Thus, point-wise equality would imply equality and
we obtain function extensionality from a general coinduction principle.

Hagino had realised in 87 (DOI: 10.1007/3-540-18508-9_24) that many
type formers can be represented as either inductive or coinductive
type by appealing to their presentation as left/right adjoints. An
exception to this was the function space. However, if we move to a
dependent type theory (or fibred categories), then we can also obtain
the function space in this way. You may find description of the
category theoretical approach to this here
https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.06779v2 and the syntactic side here
http://arxiv.org/abs/1605.02206. (Apologies for the self-advertisement).

Best,
Henning