[Agda] I want implicit coercions in Agda

Jason -Zhong Sheng- Hu fdhzs2010 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 22:32:30 CET 2018

Since Coq has coersion, I use this functionality there. I assume that the use of coersion is not limited to the agda program text, but should also be presented in the interaction, namely in the proof window, the coersion functions would also be hidden. In this situation, another request would probably follow immediately after coersion is implemented in Agda: add a switch to (temporarily) turn it off.

Sometimes coersion can be confusing. I am not against it (since I use it), but I would say that this functionality could be very misleading if it overshoots too much, so the design of it is very important. I think the reason of this disagreement here is because there is only one view of the program text, so we either have a very high level view but abstract, or a very low level view but too verbose. If we can have a hierarchy of views, which allows us to zoom in and out of mathematics/proofs/programs, I think coersion can have way more value.

Sincerely Yours,

Jason Hu