[Agda] I want implicit coercions in Agda

Jon Sterling jon at jonmsterling.com
Sat Nov 17 17:32:50 CET 2018

I'm a little sympathetic to Mietek's point of view here,  because I've been in the boat where I found for the longest time (and still do in many cases) the conventions of mathematical writing to be just totally perplexing. Now that I'm more used to it, I find it easier going, but even so, the boundary between sensible overloading and perverse overloading is a very fine one, and rarely do mathematical texts actually walk that boundary in a satisfactory way.

But the thing that convinces me of the importance of *some* way to resolve syntactically ambiguous notations (regardless of whether it is realized through implicit coercion, unification hints, type classes, etc.) is that when building hierarchies of structures,  the specifics of how you cooked up the hierarchy (and there are always a million different ways to do this) have a huge effect on what the fully-explicit form of some operator will be. Another point worth mentioning is that even within a *single* discipline for mathematical hierarchies, there may be multiple (commuting) ways to access the same operator, so it is really not so good to be forced to choose one of those in the user-level code.

Some kind of implicit resolution of these things can do a lot to grease the wheels. With that said, I've been unsatisfied and frustrated with all attempts at such implicit resolution that I've used. But I haven't used all of them :)

---

I do not believe that one should necessarily be able to grasp everything that is happening by looking at textual code. Far from being a weakness, the fact that we can (in theory) query our IDE to show us more and more information iteratively is a *strength* of digital presentation formats for mathematics. Back in the paleolithic period, the 1980s, the proof assistant Nuprl introduced a very flexible form of notation extension which did not even require all the constituents of a piece of syntax to be represented in the displayed form -- this was possible because Nuprl used a structure editor with a lossy renderer. The idea was that you could point and click, or use some keystrokes, to explore a term, and explode it to expose more and more information, etc.

A more moderate (and possibly more sensible) version of this interaction style is within our grasp today, where we just omit whatever can be resolved by our most powerful elaborators and unification engines -- and this style is compatible with purely textual formats, not requiring any "rendering" of some more detailed format. Being able to inspect the type of something in Agda's emacs mode is only the beginning. I believe that Idris's emacs mode contains more sophisticated features along these lines, where you can even inspect code that appears quoted in an error message! (Maybe Agda has this now too, but I haven't checked.)

My experience with formalizing mathematics is that one needs to be able to interact with the artifact both at a high level (eyes squinted) and at a low level, seeing every minute detail. We should take advantage of the fact that our editing interfaces are interactive, rather than requiring all this detail to be inlined into the textual representation.

Best,
Jon