[Agda] Installing Idris without breaking Agda

Dave Martin dave.martin at mail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:24:12 CET 2018

...Update!

The install is FINALLY complete after all these hours! I got the following error messages:

Installed idris-1.3.1
Agda-2.5.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

...That is indeed the version of Agda I'd had; but I've tried opening and loading an .agda file into Emacs and so far (haven't tried other commands yet) all seems well. Also called up the Idris REPL and everything seems in order there too.

Is everything indeed fine? Why the error messages? What has happened exactly?

...A huge list of apparently success indicating messages...but then a couple of (apparent) error messages towards the end:

Configuring Agda-2.5.3...
Failed to install Agda-2.5.3

[...]

Configuring Agda-2.5.3...
setup: The program 'alex' version >=3.1.0 && <3.2.0 || >=3.2.1 is required but
it could not be found.
cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-14275/Agda-2.5.3'

[...]

Building idris-1.3.1...

...where it has been stuck for probably half an hour now. Did the fact that I still had Agda open during this process have something to do with it? It hadn't been obvious to me that I should close it; I just thought the "Agda" in the command you sent me was a flag to avoid Agda or something, not a reinstallation as I now think it may have been. What should I do now? I'm starting to think that this is not normal! Idris shouldn't take this long to install!