[Agda] Participation in Google Summer of Code

Marko Dimjašević marko at dimjasevic.net
Thu Oct 18 08:03:46 CEST 2018

Hello everyone,

I am new to Agda and this mailing list so my apologies if this was
discussed before.

Has Agda ever participated in the Google Summer of Code program? It is
a summer program in which university students get to work on free
software while supervised by a mentoring organisation and they get a
stipend if their project was successful:

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

I would say this would be a nice way for Agda to get more contributions
and possibly long-term contributors. There is still plenty of time,
roughly several months before applications open for the next Google
Summer of Code (GSoC), but it's a good opportunity to think about ideas
and projects that students could work on. I bet there are plenty of
things that could use some work and that can be scoped to take one
summer for a student to finish. For example, I remember David Thrane
Christiansen saying he is willing to offer help with improving the Agda
mode for Emacs and I hope he'd be willing to do this during the GSoC.
That's just an idea. Agda community members would mentor students
working on these projects.

I am new to Agda so I don't think I would be a good fit for a mentor.
On the other hand, I participated for three times on different projects
in Google Summer of Code while I was a student and I can help with
writing an application for the Agda community to become a mentoring
organisation at the GSoC. Furthermore, if the Agda community's
application for mentoring gets accepted, I would be more than happy to
promote Agda GSoC participation to students in Croatia by getting in
touch with university professors teaching relevant topics and giving
talks to students about Agda and GSoC to encourage them to apply.

--
Regards,
Marko Dimjašević <marko at dimjasevic.net>