[Agda] Questions about logic

Jesper Cockx Jesper at sikanda.be
Sat Oct 6 11:14:11 CEST 2018

Hi Silvio,

> 3) Do I need some additional tools/axioms that I can postulate in Agda to
do this? Like set theory axioms?
> 4) Is set theory replaced by Agda or is it to be defined/implemented in
Agda?

Agda is based on Martin-Löf type theory, which can be thought of as a
replacement for both logic and set theory of usual mathematics (since types
serve a dual role as both propositions and 'sets'). Type theory does not
rely on axioms like set theory but rather on pairs of
introduction/elimination rules, so for most tasks you do not need to add
any axioms to Agda. Of course, Agda is an intuitionistic logic so you do
not have the law of the excluded (not the included btw) middle or the axiom
of choice, so you may want to postulate these. However, if you haven't done
any intuitionistic logic before you may be surprised how far you can get
without them :)

> 6) Could I theoretically rebuild the Agda syntax and proof that Agda
always terminates?

Agda is quite a large language and so hasn't been given a fully formal
semantics or a proof of termination (yet). However, there have been some
attempts at formalizing and proving correct some parts of Agda (I recently
wrote a blog post
<https://jesper.sikanda.be/posts/elaborating-dependent-copattern-matching.html>
about one of these). And of course, the basis of Agda is MLTT which has
been given many different proofs of normalization, so if you restrict
yourself to a sufficiently small fragment of Agda it may be possible to
reuse one of those.

I hope that helps!

-- Jesper