[Agda] Questions about logic

Henning Basold henning at basold.eu
Sat Oct 6 10:15:03 CEST 2018

Dear Silvio,

The completeness of classical propositional logic reduces to
completeness with respect to the Boolean algebra {0,1}. This is what
makes the proof fairly straightforward. For intuitionistic
propositional logic, on the other hand, requires to quantify over all
Heyting algebras and for completeness the construction of a canonical
model. I suppose that this could be done in Agda (anyone seen this?).

First-order logic is another beast though. If you ask about
intuitionistic FOL, then you have to prove completeness with respect
to Kripke-models. That again should be possible in Agda, as it is
intuitionistically valid, see [1]. Completeness for classical FOL is
much more difficult. I remember that Hugo Herbelin talked about this
at the "Programs, Structures and Computations" workshop in 2014. There
is a working draft on his homepage [2]. Implementing something like
this in Agda probably requires a lot of time though (maybe a good
master or partial PhD project (-:).

I hope this helps a bit in answering your questions.

Best,
Henning

[1] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168007213001085
[2]