[Agda] [TYPES] Progress + Preservation = Evaluation

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat Jul 7 00:45:12 CEST 2018

Thanks, Sam and Andreas, for the elegant examples of how to encode general
recursion in a language that guarantees termination. Sam, am I right in
thinking Conor's paper does not touch on the idea of combining constructive
proofs of progress and preservation to derive a constructive evaluator?
(But I could apply Conor's technique or a trampoline to express such an
evaluator. Indeed, I considered using Delay for the evaluator in the
textbook, but decided that supplying a step count was simpler, and avoided
the need to explain coinduction.) Cheers, -- P

.   \ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science,
.   /\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
.  /  \ and Senior Research Fellow, IOHK
. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/

Too brief? Here's why: http://www.emailcharter.org/