[Agda] Foundations of copatterns [Re: The joys and sorrows of abstraction]

Andreas Abel abela at chalmers.se
Thu May 17 09:38:28 CEST 2018

 > (The co-patterns of Andreas et al are also very good for making
 > readable definitions; I’m not so sure if they have firm foundations —
 > pardon my ignorance.)

Andy,

concerning foundations of copattern matching, there is a forthcoming
ICFP paper by Jesper Cockx and me

   http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/lhs-checking-submitted.pdf

that describes the transformation of dependent copattern matching into
case trees.

The second step, going from case trees to "introducers" for coinductive
types hasn't been formally described.  This would require a description
of productivity checking without sized types.  The foundational question
for sized types has not been fully settled for dependent types, but see
my work on non-dependent types...

Best,
Andreas