[Agda] Blog post: The Agda's New Sorts

Jon Sterling jon at jonmsterling.com
Wed May 16 19:01:33 CEST 2018

In another "universe" (pun intended) this would be lovely :) I think part of the problem is that the Harper/Pollack treatment (which Coq adopted a few years ago) relies in a purely schematic notion of universe level. This is, in my opinion, this right way to do universe polymorphism, but Agda's universe levels are far more flexible: in particular, they are kind of internalized, so that you have a type of levels, and can quantify over them internally.

While it may be questionable (to me) whether this flexibility is needed in real life, it seems like as a practical matter it would be a very big change to Agda that probably couldn't be made smoothly.

What I would love is for the next major version of Agda to support cumulativity of universes, regardless of whether levels are explicit; then, separately, one can bolt on the Harper/Pollack algorithm to infer universes if needed; maybe it could even be implemented as a tactic!

Another approach that seems really attractive to me, which is quite a bit lighter weight, would be to try out Conor McBride's "crude but effective stratification" idea (see https://mazzo.li/epilogue/index.html%3Fp=857&cpage=1.html and https://pigworker.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/universe-hierarchies/), which is where you take serious my rephrasing of Conor's rephrasing of James McKinna's Dictum:

    Never attribute to polymorphism that which is adequately explained by initiality.

The idea is that rather than making your code polymorphic in a universe level, instead, just write it at the lowest level you can, and then have some operation to shift it up and down.

But all this is speculation about a parallel universe in which Agda didn't already commit to these very fancy internalizable universe levels. I hope we find a wormhole into that reality soon ;-)

Best,
Jon