[Agda] Encoding higher lambda calculus in agda

Henning Basold henning at basold.eu
Thu Apr 5 10:15:57 CEST 2018

Hi,

On 05/04/18 08:33, András Kovács wrote:

> You can represent the syntax of pretty much every dependent and
> impredicative theory in Agda. However, that does not settle whether
> a particular proof or construction using a syntax is a) possible in
> base Agda b) feasible or convenient in base Agda.
>
> System F and F-omega syntax is easy to represent in Agda, in
> either intrinsic or extrinsic manner. Showing consistency or
> normalization would require an impredicative universe in Agda, so
> that's not possible without postulating stuff, but even without
> that there are many interesting things which you could do with the
> syntax.

In fact, this applies to almost any type theory, because standard
normalisation proofs are often impredicative, even for simple type
theories. For an example of a predicative encoding of such a proof
see, for example, [AA99].

As for the formalisation of dependent types in Agda: The main
difficulty is the fact that the typing judgement involves the
reduction relation of the theory, which leads to trouble especially
with recursive types. One technique to overcome this is to define
pre-terms, which are untyped terms or terms that have only
informations about arities of constructors etc. In [Geu94], a strong
normalisation proof is given, where the reduction relation is given in
such a way. I used an extension of that technique to encode a
dependent type theory of inductive-coinductive types in Agda
(https://github.com/hbasold/CoindDepTypes). Finally, people have
recently started to use higher inductive types to define the term
equalities by using propositional equality rather by using reduction
relations, see the thesis of Ambrus Kaposi [Kap17].

Best,
Henning

[AA99] Abel, Andreas, and Thorsten Altenkirch. 1999. ‘A Predicative
Strong Normalisation Proof for a Lambda-Calculus with Interleaving
Inductive Types’. In TYPES’99, edited by Thierry Coquand, Peter
Dybjer, Bengt Nordström, and Jan M. Smith, 1956:21–40. LNCS. Springer.
https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44557-9_2.

[Geu94] Geuvers, Herman. 1994. ‘A Short and Flexible Proof of Strong
Normalization for the Calculus of Constructions’. In Types for Proofs
and Programs, edited by Peter Dybjer, Bengt Nordström, and Jan Smith,
14–38. LNCS 996. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-60579-7_2.

[Kap17] Kaposi, Ambrus. 2017. ‘Type Theory in a Type Theory with
Quotient Inductive Types’. University of Nottingham, UK.
http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.713896.