[Agda] [REQUEST] Help with transition from 2.5.1/2 (std-lib 0.12) to 2.5.3 (std-lib 0.14)

James McKinna James.McKinna at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 18:42:06 CEST 2017

Dear List,

attempting to migrate proofs which previously typechecked under
2.5.1/2, with stdlib 0.12 to 2.5.3 with stdlib 0.14.

This has revealed some (very!) unpleasant backwards incompatibilities,
so this is a request for assistance/insight into how to deal with them.

Hoping to hear from experts on some or all of the following points!

Cheers,

James McKinna
0) dependency on ghc

Previously, and for institutional reasons, we've been building/running
Agda under ghc-7.10.2/3

What is the most recent agda version which builds under ghc-7.x.y?

1) stdlib 0.14 dependency on agda

Many things in stdlib 0.14 appear to depend on having agda version
2.5.3 or above. In particular, the language pragmas FOREIGN and
COMPILE in Data.Empty seem to make 2.5.1/2 fall over. Is there a
sensible way to disable such pragmas without editing the stdlib, for
developments which make *no use* of compilation to haskell?

2) reduction behaviour of functions/compile-time conversion checking

Lots of things we rely on in our proofs seem now no longer to typecheck.

Agda seems no longer to be unfolding definitions, or at least not in
the ways we expect, during proof construction or re-checking, as
previously in 2.5.1/2. There's no easy way to phrase this question,
but how are we supposed to understand the change, and rework our
codebase so that old proofs still check? For the time being, no
minimal failing example is easy to provide. Is it possible to explain
at least what has changed, and better still, to restore the old
reduction/unification behaviour? The CHANGELOG gives no clues (at
least that I could understand)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.