[Agda] Can intuitionistic type theory express derivations of physical equations more strictly?

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 28 17:09:23 CEST 2017

On 28/09/17 13:38, i.hidekazu at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to describe a physical system with the intuitionistic type
> theory(not computer simulation).  I wonder if it is possible to convince
> readers that all famous physical equations have evenly a strict
> derivation. So I want to confirm it with the type theory.
>
> In order to refer, I'm looking about such a system, a plot or a
> interpretation of value with type in physics. Does anyone know such a
> information?

I don't know about your question with intuitionistic mathematics. But
people have thought about this in the context of computability theory
(developed within classical mathematics, as usual - which is closely
related, as well as closely unrelated to intuitionistic mathematics).

Here are two examples I remember without thinking too much:

(1) Pour-el and Richards book, whose chapters are available individually
on Project Euclid.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&hs=xgx&channel=fs&q=pour-el+and+richards&oq=pour-el+and+richards&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1l2.1396.1396.0.2909.1.1.0.0.0.0.95.95.1.1.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.94....0.xVYVMRJyYEc

There the heat and wave (differential) equations are discussed. For one
of them, the solution is computable from the initial condition. For the
other one, it isn't.

(2) John Longley, University of Edinburgh, On the calculating power of
Laplace's demon (Part I). I don't think part II exists in writing. This
is an extended version of a CiE'2006 publication.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jrl/Research/laplace1.pdf

Martin

> sincerely,
>
> IWAKI Hidekazu