[Agda] excluded-middle

Owen ellbur at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:07:07 CEST 2016

Hello Katsutoshi,

What makes 'excluded-middle' in Data.Relation.Nullary valid is not just
that it is double negated, but that the quantifier is in a different place.
Look at the type definition:

excluded-middle
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3396>
: ∀ {p <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3417>}
{P <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3421>
: Set p <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3417>}
→ ¬ <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#398>
¬ <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#398>
Dec <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#468>
P <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3421>

Intuitively you could read Dec
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#468>
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3421>
as
"a proof that P is decidable", ¬
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#398>
 Dec
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Core.html#468>
<http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/lib/Relation.Nullary.Negation.html#3421>
as
"a proof that P is not decidable", so the whole thing reads as:

   "For all sentences P, it is not possible to prove that P is not
decidable"

Compare to the excluded middle which says

   "For all sentences P, P is decidable"

So you can see intuitively these mean different things.

Best,
Owen