[Agda] postdoc recruiting

Aaron Stump aaron-stump at uiowa.edu
Sun May 29 22:33:54 CEST 2016

Dear Agda community,

I am writing to advertise a postdoctoral research position working with
me on dependently typed lambda encodings, in the Computer Science
department at The University of Iowa.  The position is for two years,
and the start date is flexible.  Salary and benefits are competitive.
The project is funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation.

The project is to develop and evaluate Cedille, a new implementation of
a system I am proposing called the Calculus of Dependent Lambda
Eliminations (CDLE).  CDLE is based on a version of the Calculus of
Constructions (CoC) with implicit products (cf. Miquel's implicit CoC).
This system is extended with new features supporting dependently typed
programming with lambda encodings.  These new features enable data to be
defined to be their own inductions (so the type of 3 says that if you
prove standard step and base cases for a property P, then you get a
proof of P of 3), and allow large eliminations with such data.  This
system supports programming and proving with higher-order lambda
encodings of datatypes with embedded functions; such datatypes are not
allowed in Coq or Agda for consistency reasons.  Nevertheless, CDLE is a
sound logic under the Curry-Howard isomorphism, as higher-order lambda
encodings (as possible already even in System F) do not jeopardize
consistency. For more about this system, see the draft paper on my web page.

If you are interested in applying for the position, please send an
updated CV including the names of two references to me by email. Please
also include preferred start date.  A doctoral degree in Computer
Science is required, and background in type theory, programming
languages, compilers, or formal methods is strongly desired.  Inquiries
are also very welcome.  I would be very happy to have applications from
graduating students at institutions in Europe.  Our Computational Logic
Center here at U. Iowa, which I run together with my colleague Cesare
Tinelli, has many international connections, including a number of
current postdocs who completed doctoral training at schools in France
and the UK.

Sincerely,
Aaron

Aaron Stump