[Agda] [ANNOUNCE] Agda 2.5.1

Andrew Pitts Andrew.Pitts at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 18:27:24 CEST 2016

I quote from Release notes for Agda version 2.5.1:

"The Agda.Builtin modules are installed in the same way as
Agda.Primitive, but unlike Agda.Primitive they are not loaded
automatically.”

This prompts me to ask a question that has bugged me for some time,
but not sufficiently to be bothered to ask this list, until now.

In what sense, exactly, is Agda.Primitive  “loaded automatically” ?
Naively, I would think the answer should be that the declarations in
Agda.Primitive are always available without having to say

open import Agda.Primitive

However, whereas

data foo  {ℓ }(A : Set ℓ) : Set ℓ where

typechecks OK,

data foo  {ℓ : Level}(A : Set ℓ) : Set ℓ where

does not (Agda complains that Level is not is scope), whereas

open import Agda.Primitive
data foo  {ℓ : Level}(A : Set ℓ) : Set ℓ where

does typecheck.

What am I mis-understanding here?

Andy

Andrew M. Pitts,
Professor of Theoretical Computer Science,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
William Gates Building, 15 JJ Thomson Ave,
Cambridge CB3 0FD, UK.

Tel +44 1223 334629,
Fax +44 1223 334678,
Email <Andrew.Pitts at cl.cam.ac.uk>,