[Agda] Why no impredicative prop?

Jon Sterling jon at jonmsterling.com
Wed Dec 30 20:20:38 CET 2015

Bas,

I'm not making this identification at all, but perhaps my comment was
less than clear.

The type-theoretic meaning explanations are indeed constructive and not
necessarily intuitionistic—but they come out of a tradition that goes
back at least to Heyting's 1956 meaning explanation for intuitionistic
logic, and I view Martin-Löf's meaning theory in this light; meaning
explanations for Computational Type Theory, for instance, are strictly
intuitionistic rather than merely constructive, as an example. Dybjer's
recent meaning explanation for CoC is an example of a
constructive-but-not-intuitionistic meaning theory, I suppose.

Sundholm & van Atten like to make a very nice point that intuitionism
(in the sense of Brouwer) is not just constructivism (as in BISH)
plus/minus various principles—it relies on a very different notion of
data and time.

Coming back to the topic at hand, we were discussing the lack of an
*intuitionistic* meaning explanation that justifies impredicativity; the
fact that Martin-Löf's meaning explanations are compatible with an
impredicative & constructivist (as opposed to specifically
intuitionistic) ambient mathematics is not really the point here, I
think.

best,
jon

[Sorry if anyone has received a duplicate message from me.]