[Agda] Why no impredicative prop?

Timothy Carstens intoverflow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 04:13:11 CET 2015

For most of the work I've done I haven't needed an impredicative universe;
that is, the main reason I'd use Prop in Coq was that the OCaml extractor
would eliminate Prop terms, which was nice.

But then I tried to implement indirection theory in the style of Hobor,
Dockins, Appel [1]. One can carry out their construction just fine, but
(from what I can tell) using the construction in the manner shown in their
examples requires an impredicative sort.

Namely, in section 4.1 they wind up in a situation where they have

T some type, say Set i

type = memtype * value -> T

ref : type -> type

At this point, their usage of 'ref' seems to require (type -> type : T),
which only seems possible if T is impredicative.

I'm unsure whether or not their construction could be carried out in a
satisfactory way by (for example) trying to make a universe-polymoprhic
version of 'type'. Regardless, running into this obstacle got me to
wondering whether or not there was a theoretical obstruction to Agda having
an impredicative prop.

[1] http://vst.cs.princeton.edu/msl/indirection.pdf

-t