[Agda] Coinductive types and 'duals' to dependent lambda calculus?

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 28 10:20:56 CET 2015

Hi Lars,

Dependent recursion generalizes induction, which says that any subset of the inductive set which is closed under constructors is already the whole set. Dually coinduction says that any equivalence relation which is closed under destructors is the equality. Equivalence relation are dual to subsets in the sense that subsets classify monos into the type while equivalence relations classify epis going out of the type.

Usually equivalence relations are proof-irrelevant but in the light of Homotopy Type Theory they don’t need to be. Maybe this would be a good start towards a more symmetric account of the induction/coinduction duality.

Thorsten