[Agda] question about a form of irrelevance elimination

Andreas Abel abela at chalmers.se
Fri Jul 17 15:49:27 CEST 2015

Agda's irrelevant quantification was inspired by Pfenning, LICS 2001,
[1], and fleshed out for MLTT in Abel/Scherer, TYPES 2010.  The
semantics provided there is via a term model, I am afraid.  In a PER
model,  .A -> B  is just  Squash A -> B  where  (a1,a2) in Squash A iff
there are a1' and a2' such that (a1,a2'), (a1',a2) in A.

Cheers,
Andreas

Reference [1]

@STRING{ieee	= "IEEE Computer Society Press" }
@STRING{lics01	= "16th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS
		  2001), 16-19 June 2001, Boston University, USA,
		  Proceedings" }

@InProceedings{	  pfenning:intextirr,
   author	= {Frank Pfenning},
   title		= {Intensionality, Extensionality, and Proof Irrelevance in
		  Modal Type Theory},
   booktitle	= lics01,
   publisher	= ieee,
   year		= 2001
}

Reference [2]

@STRING{lmcs	= "Logical Methods in Computer Science" }

@Article{	  abelscherer:types10,
   author	= {Andreas Abel and Gabriel Scherer},
   title		= {On Irrelevance and Algorithmic Equality in Predicative
		  Type Theory},
   journal	= lmcs,
   volume	= 8,
   number	= {1:29},