[Agda] HOTT-style reals in Agda

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:51:17 CEST 2015

On 13/07/2015 14:08, "Bas Spitters" <b.a.w.spitters at gmail.com> wrote:

>It should be possible using the same methods as the ones in the
>formalization of the surreals in Coq:
>https://github.com/HoTT/HoTT/blob/babaf2181a75f6ebb8b4a947baff686c8cdb09e1
>/theories/Spaces/No.v
>
>In fact, since agda has induction recursion it should in fact be a bit
>easier.
>
>An easier project would be to use the same methodology to formalize
>the delay monad in HoTT. (Tarmo, Bob and Andreas may already be
>working on this.)

I guess you mean the partiality monad.

Nils Anders Danielsson and I came up with a formalisation (in Agda)

http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~nad/listings/equality/Partiality-monad.Inductiv
e.html

which tackles the problem that you want ³Partial A² be a wDCPO, i.e.
Closed under the lubs of increasing omega-chains. This seems impossible to
show for the naïve definition which is also the source of the problem
reported by Chapman, Uustalu and Veltri at the Types meeting.

The fix is basically the same as for the reals, you inductively define
Partial A to be given by now A, never, and a constructor lub for
increasing chains. You mutually define the order and decree that the
constructor of the chains is actually the lub. The equality is just the
symmetric closure of the order but it is important that it is defined at
the same time.

For this definition it is possible to show that it is a monad without
using choice.

Cheers,
Thorsten