[Agda] PhD studentship in Nottingham available

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri May 8 15:18:03 CEST 2015

Hi,

There is one fully funded PhD studentship available (for EU citizens) in Nottingham with me as a supervisor. The studentship is related to a grant on Homotopy Type Theory supported by the UK EPSRC jointly with Nicola Gambino in Leeds and Neil Ghani and Conor McBride at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow.

Homotopy Type Theory (HoTT) is a revolutionary new approach to type theory where types are interpreted as spaces, terms as points and equalities as paths. Decades of research in homotopy theory has uncovered the structure of such paths and HoTT uses this structure as the basis of a new theory of equality. Excitingly, within homotopy theory, one naturally studies higher homotopies of paths between paths and this gives the higher dimensional structure of equality we previously lacked. The objective of this grant is to translate the advances of HoTT into more concrete programming language and verification tools.

The prospective student should have a background in Computer Science and/or Mathematics and have a keen interest in logic, foundations of Computer Science and Mathematics and Programming Languages. A good knowledge of functional programming is helpful. Successful applicants should have completed (or will complete soon) an MSc with a (predicted) first class classification or comparable. Good communication skills and the ability to work with the thriving group in Nottingham and to interact with our colleagues in Strathclyde and Leeds are important assets.

The studentship will cover PhD tuition fees and a tax free stipend for three years (£13,590 for the 2014-15 academic year) for UK/EU students. For international students it is possible to apply for additional funding via the University of Nottingham to bridge the difference but this is subject to tight deadlines and an additional selection process. Funding is for 3 years, completion of PhD has to happen within 4 years.

Applicants should email Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk with:

an up-to-date CV, including the email addresses of 1 - 2 relevant  academic references;
transcript and/or certificates (scanned);
a short (1 - 2 pages) research proposal;
1-2 examples of their work (eg slides of talks, projects, thesis) in electronic form; and
a cover letter (or email) explaining their reasons to apply for this position (< 500 words).

If you have applied for an earlier advert in December but not been successful, let me know wether you are still interested in the position.If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me by email.  Note that unlike the earlier advert this time the studentship is limited to people from the EU due to funding restrictions.

Thorsten

P.S. Please feel free to forward this email to potentially interested people.

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.