[Agda] Positive but not strictly positive types

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 23:16:03 CEST 2015

From: Dan Doel <dan.doel at gmail.com<mailto:dan.doel at gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, 10 April 2015 21:41
To: Thorsten Altenkirch <thorsten.altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:thorsten.altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk>>
Cc: Frédéric Blanqui <frederic.blanqui at inria.fr<mailto:frederic.blanqui at inria.fr>>, "agda at lists.chalmers.se<mailto:agda at lists.chalmers.se>" <agda at lists.chalmers.se<mailto:agda at lists.chalmers.se>>
Subject: Re: [Agda] Positive but not strictly positive types

When you asked this in a coq-club thread on the same subject, I gave this example:

Ah indeed, I thought this was a bit of a dejavue. I have to admit that I haven’t digested your code. I always thought that Church encodings are not very practical.

It is possible to use positive (but non strict-positive) types to zip together two Church encoded lists in linear instead of quadratic time. Here is a (GHC) Haskell implementation:

---- snip ----

{-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}

module ZipFold where

newtype List a = List { foldR :: forall r. (a -> r -> r) -> r -> r }

nil :: List a
nil = List $ \_ n -> n

cons :: a -> List a -> List a
cons x (List e) = List $ \c n -> x `c` e c n

toList :: List a -> [a]
toList xs = foldR xs (:) []

fromList :: [a] -> List a
fromList xs = List $ \c n -> foldr c n xs

-- The original idea:
-- newtype Left a b c = Left { feedLeft :: b -> Right a b c -> List c }
-- newtype Right a b c = Right { feedRight :: Left a b c -> List c }

newtype Zipping a b c = Z { feed :: (b -> Zipping a b c -> List c) -> List c }
type Left a b c = b -> Zipping a b c -> List c
type Right a b c = Zipping a b c

-- Mimicking the original idea
left :: (b -> Right a b c -> List c) -> Left a b c
left k = k
feedLeft :: Left a b c -> b -> Right a b c -> List c
feedLeft l = l

right :: (Left a b c -> List c) -> Right a b c
right = Z
feedRight :: Right a b c -> Left a b c -> List c
feedRight = feed

nilL :: Left a b c
nilL = left $ \_ _ -> nil

nilR :: Right a b c
nilR = right $ \_ -> nil

zipl :: (a -> b -> c) -> List a -> Left a b c
zipl f xs = foldR xs (\a l -> left $ \b r -> f a b `cons` feedRight r l) nilL

zipr :: List b -> Right a b c
zipr ys = foldR ys (\b r -> right $ \l -> feedLeft l b r) nilR

zipW :: (a -> b -> c) -> List a -> List b -> List c
zipW f xs ys = feedRight (zipr ys) (zipl f xs)

-- [(1,1), (2,2), ..., (10,10)]
ex1 = toList $ zipW (,) (fromList [1..10]) (fromList [1..10])
-- [(1,1), (2,2), ..., (9,9)]
ex2 = toList $ zipW (,) (fromList [1..10]) (fromList [1..9])
-- [(1,1), (2,2), ..., (9,9)]
ex3 = toList $ zipW (,) (fromList [1..9]) (fromList [1..10])

---- snip ----

I don't really understand what, "the only justification is classical," means. System F has non-strict positive types. Is it classical?

I’d say so because the only justification for impredicativity is that Prop is small because Bool=Prop.

I care about them inasmuch as I'd be interested in seeing a system that allowed them, so I could see what kinds of programs they'd be useful for, and what tradeoffs would have to be made to avoid breaking various properties of the system. From the above, it seems like they have uses when you're doing things with continuation passing.

And if "justification" refers to the existence of some particular sort of model, I basically don't care about that at all. So positive types would automatically win that fight for me.

If you just want to program you can switch off positivity checking.

I didn’t refer to “some sort of model” but just some naïve understanding. Strictly positive types model some sort of trees, I have no idea what non-strict positive one are. The justification seems just formalistic.

Usually we get non-strict positivity when we apply the negative translation (aka CPS translation) to an inductive (or coinductive) definition. It is not clear to my why those should exist from a constructive point of view.

Thorsten

--
​ Dan​

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Thorsten Altenkirch <Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:
Why do you want non-strict positive types? They don't make any sense to me. The only justification is classical.

Thorsten

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Apr 2015, at 18:22, Frédéric Blanqui <frederic.blanqui at inria.fr<mailto:frederic.blanqui at inria.fr>> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> Le 10/04/2015 17:19, Aaron Stump a écrit :
>> Hello, Frédéric.  Thanks for this interesting information about Coq.
>> I have a couple follow-up questions if you don't mind:
>>
>> -- So are you saying that Coq could allow nonstrictly positive small
>> inductive types?
> Yes. You can have a look at:
> http://iospress.metapress.com/content/tf54nwg673hvgk5d/
> or https://who.rocq.inria.fr/Frederic.Blanqui/fi05-pdf.html
>
>>  It seems it currently does not, as this one is rejected, for example:
>>
>> Inductive Cont (A:Prop) : Prop :=
>>  D : Cont A
>> | C : ((Cont A -> A) -> A) -> Cont A.
> Unfortunately, yes, mainly for technical reasons I guess. This would
> require to restrict pattern-matching definitions so that they can be
> encoded into recursors, or upgrade the Coq termination checker to
> size-based termination since the structural subterm ordering is defined
> for strictly positive types only and cannot handle non-strictly positive
> types...
>
>> -- is it necessary to forbid large eliminations with big inductive
>> types due to the Coquand-Paulin example we have been discussing (in
>> addition to forbidding nonstrictly positive big inductive types)?
>> Or is there another example that shows the problem with large
>> eliminations and big inductive types?
>> Sorry if these things are already explained somewhere in
>> theories/Logic/ in the Coq library...
> I know no other counter-example but current (sufficient) termination
> conditions require so.
>
> Frédéric.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Aaron
>>
>>> On 04/10/2015 01:40 AM, Frédéric Blanqui wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Speaking of Coq: because Prop is impredicative, one usually
>>> distinguishes between:
>>> 1. small inductive types where Type-level constructor arguments are
>>> parameters
>>> 2. big inductive types
>>>
>>> Coquand's counter-example is a big inductive type.
>>>
>>> For this reason, strong elimination on big inductive types is
>>> forbidden in Coq.
>>>
>>> Adding small inductive types preserves termination and logical
>>> consistency in system F or Fomega. A reference to Mendler's work has
>>> already been given. For some more recent works, see Abel et al. More
>>> generally, you can consider monotone types (positivity is a syntactic
>>> condition ensuring monotony): see Matthes and Uustalu works. Adding
>>> dependent types doesn't change anything.
>>>
>>> So, there should be no problem in Agda.
>>>
>>> Frédéric.

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.