[Agda] Re: Fin n -> Fin n extensional?

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 11:03:42 CET 2015

I would say that irrelevance in type-checking is *internalized* irrelevance
having a first-class status in the language (in particular in open terms).
What Conor calls "irrelevance in execution", also sometimes called
"erasability", is a stronger principle that invokes meta-level properties
that are not internalized, in particular canonicity/adequacy (formal
results on the normal forms of "closed" inhabitants of a given type). The
key may be the empty context (but I think we can extend this to an
interesting richer class of context), but the door it opens is made of
canonicity/adequacy results. In particular, such results can be broken by
introducing axioms (are axioms counted as part of the context?) -- whether
they are preserved by univalence is the hot question.

On this distinction I like "Inductive Families Need Not Store Their
Indices" (Edwin Brady, Conor McBride, James McKinna, 2003), which presents
and contrasts many different shades of erasability (the distinction on the
empty context is discussed in Section 5, "Run-Time Optimisation").