[Agda] I'm not sure... case for the constructor ..., because I get stuck when trying to solve...

Andreas Abel abela at chalmers.se
Sat Dec 6 13:21:40 CET 2014

Unfortunately, the order of arguments in the constructor matters for the
coverage checker in such delicate cases.  I filed an issue derived from
your problem:

   https://code.google.com/p/agda/issues/detail?id=1384

If you take look there, putting the equality proof in the constructor
earlier works.

Ideally, every program that is generated by subsequent splits (C-c C-c)
should be accepted by Agda.  Unfortunately, in the resulting code the
split order is no longer visible, and Agda tries to guess an order that
works.  It does not always.

Sorry, at the moment you are forced to try and error.  Agda logging can
be enabled with the -v option, but I am afraid the logs only make sense
if you read the source code side by side.  There is no user-friendly log
where Agda gives an executive summary of what it did.  (Contributions
welcome!)

Note that sets of clauses that do not cover all cases are making the
problem for the coverage checker even harder!  This is why you get the
failure when you comment-out the catch-all.

The following snippet of the CHANGELOG gives a hint on the strategy of
the coverage checker:

* Improved coverage checker.  The coverage checker splits on
   arguments that have constructor or literal pattern, committing
   to the left-most split that makes progress.
   Consider the lookup function for vectors:

     data Fin : Nat → Set where
       zero : {n : Nat} → Fin (suc n)
       suc  : {n : Nat} → Fin n → Fin (suc n)

     data Vec (A : Set) : Nat → Set where
       []  : Vec A zero
       _∷_ : {n : Nat} → A → Vec A n → Vec A (suc n)

     _!!_ : {A : Set}{n : Nat} → Vec A n → Fin n → A
     (x ∷ xs) !! zero  = x
     (x ∷ xs) !! suc i = xs !! i

   In Agda up to 2.3.0, this definition is rejected unless we add
   an absurd clause

     [] !! ()

   This is because the coverage checker committed on splitting
   on the vector argument, even though this inevitably lead to
   failed coverage, because a case for the empty vector [] is missing.

   The improvement to the coverage checker consists on committing
   only on splits that have a chance of covering, since all possible
   constructor patterns are present.  Thus, Agda will now split
   first on the Fin argument, since cases for both zero and suc are
   present.  Then, it can split on the Vec argument, since the
   empty vector is already ruled out by instantiating n to a suc _.

andreas.abel at gu.se
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/