[Agda] (Stronger) double negation of law of excluded middle

Thorsten Altenkirch Thorsten.Altenkirch at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 14 11:43:08 CEST 2014

Indeed in the case of Prop this is just Kripke’s semantics, that is
propositions are modelled as monotone functions from a preordered set of
worlds to a subset of atomic propositions written as w ||- P (w forces P).
Now w ||- ~P if P is not forced in any future of w. \/ is interpreted
pointwise w ||- P \/ Q iff w ||- P or w ||- Q. To construct a
counterexample to excluded middle you need just 2 worlds w0 <= w1 where
only w1 ||- P. Now w0 doesn’t force P and it doesn’t force ~P hence it
doesn’t force P \/ ~P.

T.