[Agda] Theoretical limits of termination checking (reference request)

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:25:10 CEST 2014

Hi Francisco,

Thanks for the reference! I’m afraid the argument doesn’t work in this
particular situation…
The problem is that it is assumed there that the subset we are looking for
consists _entirely_ of terminating programs. But what I’m asking about is a
set that might also contain some non-terminating ones. Instead I want a
termination checker to exist for this subset. What this means for that
proof is that `eval` is not total and neither is `evil`.

To give an idea of what I’m talking about consider the following “coding
style”. (By the way, the term “programming language” usually means “Gödel
numbering” in computability theory, that is, there must be a translator
from any other language; that’s why I’m using the term “coding style”–it
will be a numbering, but it won’t be a Gödel one.) So, take any programming
language (say, C++) and add a requirement that each function definition is
annotated with a boolean value saying whether the function is total or not.
Clearly, any C++ program can be written this way but the translation is not
computable (there is no way to know what to put in the annotation for a
given function). Now the termination checker is trivial, it just takes a
function and outputs its annotation. So, as I mentioned in my first post,
such coding styles exist.

But, well, this stuff is totally useless, because, as already pointed out
by Thomas, membership in the set of programs correctly written in this
style can’t be decidable.

So what I learned so far:
1. No total language is “perfect.”
2. There are “perfect” “coding styles”.
3. If a “coding style” is perfect then it is not decidable (and I keep
saying “coding style” because it is somehow a more general concept since
“programming languages” implicitly include a decision procedure).
4. Undecidable “coding styles” are useless (this is not a formally proved
proposition, but things just work this way).

The remaining questions are: how close to “perfect” a programming language
or a useful (decidable) coding style can be? How good can we (or computers)
become in translating programs into such a close-to-perfect coding style
(note that this question is redundant for programming languages as the
definition of Gödel sets actually requires existence of a computable
translator)?