[Agda] Agda and GHC 7.8

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Sep 25 14:38:54 CEST 2014

> Which is the output of
>
> $ ./configure
>
> ?

Sorry for being too brief earlier. Running `make` seems to succeed, as it ends with suggestion to
run `./configure`. Running `./configure` produces this:

```
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ghc... ghc
checking for ghc version... 7.8.3
checking for alex... alex
checking for alex version... 3.1.3
checking for happy... happy
checking for happy version... 1.19.4
checking for cpphs... cpphs
checking for cpphs version... 1.18.5
checking for haddock... haddock
checking for haddock version... 2.14.3
checking for latex... latex
checking for pdflatex... pdflatex
checking for wget... wget
checking for false... false
checking for find... find
checking for diff... diff
checking for darcs... no
checking for mkdir... mkdir
checking for runhaskell... runhaskell
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating mk/config.mk
```

Then running `cabal install` produces the error I posted earlier.

> One problem you might run into is the Cabal 1.16.* incompatibility
> with GHC 7.8.
```
$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.20.0.3
using version 1.20.0.2 of the Cabal library
```

These are the latest stable versions, installed yesterday.

> Unfortunately the Agda/Cabal/GHC ecosystem is complex enough for there
> to be failure points that aren't Agda bugs.
True. But that argument could be used to refute any report that "X package does not compile". So
while it's possible that Agda only exposes some underlying problem in GHC or Cabal (or my
system), I am only experiencing this problem with Agda, which makes me think that Agda is the
culprit.

Janek