[Agda] Theoretical limits of termination checking (reference request)

Altenkirch Thorsten psztxa at exmail.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 11:18:48 CEST 2014

This is a good question.

If we restrict ourselves to Agda w.o. codata and sized types then Agda only recognizes programs whose termination order is the lexical product of the structural order of datatypes. Let’s call such programs structurally recursive. However, the set of structurally recursive programs is not decidable and Agda only recognizes those which are “guarded on the left”.  Now one concrete question would be wether any structurally recursive program can be transformed into an equivalent one which is guarded. I suspect the answer is no, because even though a program is semantically structural this may not be provable within Agda.

Any thoughts?

Thorsten