[Agda] list equality decision procedure fails termination check with Agda 2.4.0.1?

Jesper Cockx Jesper at sikanda.be
Sun Jul 13 15:35:55 CEST 2014

Maxime: To be honest, I'm not sure what the intuition behind my fix is
either. However, it is exactly what I need in order to apply structural
recursion in my translation of pattern matching to eliminators (see
http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jesper.cockx/Without-K/Pattern-matching-without-K.pdf).
I'm afraid I don't really understand your criterion for Coq either. I
thought univalence was only proven sound in combination with the standard
eliminators, and not with sized types?

Dan: Your examples are instances of issue 59 (
https://code.google.com/p/agda/issues/detail?id=59), which was fixed by
inlining "with" and "rewrite" for the purpose of termination checking.
However, at least for "rewrite" this inlining actually did bad things when
--without-K was enabled. For example, the following was accepted in 2.3.2:

{-# OPTIONS --without-K #-}
open import Relation.Binary.PropositionalEquality

data Zero : Set where

data WOne : Set where wrap : (Zero → WOne) → WOne

FOne = Zero → WOne

postulate
  iso : WOne ≡ FOne

foo : WOne → Zero
foo (wrap f) rewrite (sym iso) = foo f

BOOM : Zero
BOOM = foo (wrap (λ ()))

I'm not sure if the inlining of "with" also causes problems, but on the
other hand I don't have a proof that it is sound either. So I decided to
disable the inlining entirely (when --without-K is enabled). It would be
interesting to take a look at the desuraging of "with" by Agda to see how
they differ from your manual desugaring. Does anyone know if this is
possible?

Jesper