[Agda] termination by contradiction

Ulf Norell ulf.norell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:55:12 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Sergei Meshveliani <mechvel at botik.ru> wrote:

> 2) Suppose one introduces `loopy' by a mistake, and sets its various
> invocations, also by a mistake. What can happen then, in the worst case?
> Probably, the type checker will loop forever, and the user will
> interrupt the process of checking (as I did 10 minutes ago!).
> This will not make the whole usage worse, because there are many other
> ways in Agda to make the checker loop forever.

There shouldn't be any ways to make the type checker loop forever, so if
you have
any, please report them as bugs. There's a big difference between the type
checker
looping and there being inefficiencies in the type checker or your program,
making
checking take a very long time (or run out of memory).

 / Ulf