[Agda] termination by contradiction

Peter Hancock hancock at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 1 20:37:47 CEST 2014

On 01/07/2014 16:19, Altenkirch Thorsten wrote:
> Yes, this is true.

Er, what exactly do you think is true?

> However, it is not clear how to do symbolic evaluation with MP. That
> is if we have a hypothetical classical proof of termination this
> doesn’t tell us wether we can partially execute our program. In the
> case of a constructive proof this is the case.
>
> We could say that we can run the program if the proof is closed but
> this seems a bit weird.

I think you are saying that Markov's *rule* is admissible (in any sane
formal system embodying some formal fragment of constructivity, like HA etc).

That at least is true.

To me, acceptance of Markov's axiom/principle has always seemed
a sufficient criterion for distinguishing those people who understand
constructivity platonistically from those who actually understand it
computationally.

Hank