[Agda] Termination checker change?

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Fri Jun 6 13:19:56 CEST 2014

The structural order is not type-based, but there is eta-contraction, so
in case of test4 it compares

   < t (br a) , (λ x → f x) >  to  < Branch a t , f >

which, since argument and pattern have the same constructor, proceeds
with the arguments and then assumes the worst will happen.

     worstOf (compare (t (br a), Branch a f), compare (f, f))
   = worstOf (<, =)
   = <

In case test3 you get

     worstOf (compare (t (br a), Branch a f), compare (\ x -> x, f))
   = worstOf (<, ?)
   = ?

because the relationship between the identity function and f is unknown.
  This is why test4 is accepted and test3 not.

What we had before was allowing lexicographic orderings of subterms.
But the feature was buggy and without theoretical foundation, so we
dropped it.

Cheers,
Andreas

andreas.abel at gu.se