[Coq-Club] [Agda] Re: [HoTT] newbie questions about homotopy theory & advantage of UF/Coq

Jesper Cockx Jesper at sikanda.be
Wed Jan 8 15:20:07 CET 2014

Conor: I think it is not fair to say that noo is not structurally
recursive; it should be totally fine according to definition 6 in
"Eliminating Dependent Pattern Matching".

Looking at the proof of theorem 24 in the same paper, I see one implicit
assumption that is not mentioned in the statement of the theorem itself and
also currently not checked by Agda. The extra condition is that the type of
the argument on which the function is structurally recursive should be a
data type D vs. The definition of noo fails this condition, since it is
structurally recursive on its third argument, whose type X is not a data
type (at least not before pattern matching).

So an easy approach would be to require that the type on which we do
induction is already a data type in the type of the whole function, not
just in the type of each clause. Of course, this only works for functions
that don't use fancy termination criteria like sized types. For those, it
would probably be best to do something like explained by Bruno. But we
don't know yet how to translate those to eliminators anyway.

Jesper