[Agda] eta-equality for records and metavar resolution

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Sat Dec 28 13:11:15 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

good for bringing this up!  This is a known issue:

   http://code.google.com/p/agda/issues/detail?id=376

With Brigitte did the necessary research to fix this, see our TLCA 2011
paper.

However, I was wondering if this issue shows up in practice.  (See
comment #6.)  Apparently, you got stuck on it, so it seems worthwhile
fixing.

A fix seems to be:  Whenever we see a meta-variable applied to a
projected variable, we rewrite the context such that the projected
variable is replaced by a "tuple" of fresh variables of the appropriate
types.  More precisely, we solve the meta-variable by a new one which
lives in the thus expanded context.

Cheers,
Andreas