[Agda] defining coinductive types

Aaron Stump aaron-stump at uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 16 23:11:11 CET 2013

Hi, Andreas.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Andreas Abel <andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de>wrote:

> Hi Aaron,
>
> this looks like a kind of negative translation to me:
>
>       nu X. A * X
>   --> forall R. ((nu X. A * X) -> R) -> R
>   --> forall R. (mu X. (A -> R) + X) -> R

Exactly!  That is how I found this.  But as I said in my earlier email,
this approach already seems to be known.  It looks very similar to a
translation in the Geuvers paper I mentioned.  That's why I was surprised I
hadn't heard more about this approach, given the recent research interest
in coinduction.

> Might be a way to work with coinductive types.  A bit of an inconvenience
> is that thus encoded coinductive types "up" the universe level.

I see.  That's a good point.

> Here a small (and old) challenge:  write the Hamming stream...

Great!  I did this now, with some help from van der Weegen's Bachelor's
Thesis (I see you and Nils have both done this example, using different
methods).  I am not sure you will be happy with my implementation, as it
does not seem very fancy: I just use an accumulator to build up the list of
the first few elements, while recursing through the observer.  The main
functions are shown below.  Complete source files at

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~astump/agda-hamming/

I did not verify anything about it (except totality, of course).  I tested
it, though.  :-)

Cheers,
Aaron

extract-min : {n : ℕ} → Vec ℕ (suc n) → Σ ℕ (λ m → Vec ℕ (suc m))
extract-min (x ∷ []) = , [ x ]
extract-min (x ∷ (x' ∷ xs)) with extract-min (x' ∷ xs)
... | _ , (y ∷ ys) with x <ℕ y
... | true = _ , (x ∷ y ∷ ys)
... | false with x =ℕ y
... | true = _ , (x ∷ ys)
... | false = _ , (y ∷ x ∷ ys)

hammingh : {n : ℕ} → Vec ℕ (suc n) → 𝕊 ℕ
hammingh xs (observe-head f) with extract-min xs
hammingh xs (observe-tail o) with extract-min xs
... | _ , (m ∷ xs') = hammingh ((map (_*_ 2) xs) ++ (map (_*_ 3) xs) ++
(map (_*_ 5) xs) ++ xs') o

hamming = hammingh [ 1 ]