[Agda] Agda Digest, Vol 98, Issue 3

Matthieu Sozeau matthieu.sozeau at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:47:05 CEST 2013

Hi all,

  Let me add to the discussion that trying to restrict the current Coq's type classes
to be more principled has been on my mind for quite some time as well, but it is
frustratingly difficult to find a sweet spot that satisfies all reasonable use cases.
Something like a prolog/twelf-like system could do the trick, with static analyses
ensuring the termination and determinism/unicity of solutions of logic programs, and a
good notion of unification/matching but scaling this to the very computational setting
of type theory does not look easy, typically dealing with instances built by recursion
on some datatype or requiring unfoldings of constants. And indeed, this complicates
the system by adding another computational paradigm, but I think that's unavoidable
given the desired openness of classes and quite powerful unification strategy needed.

Coq's system has only the restriction that classes are declared and only instances of
classes are considered during resolution, allowing for a relatively efficient retrieval of
instances based on discrimination nets and avoiding as much as possible trying to convert
with everything in the context. There is an admittedly ugly backdoor using arbitrary Ltac
tactics to infer instances, but it is not necessary to use it when doing simple,
Haskell-style classes.

The canonical structures provide with a more principled approach, restricting to a
well delimited set of unification problems.

Best,
-- Matthieu