[Agda] Recursive instance search limited in depth

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Oct 2 22:54:52 CEST 2013

Ack.  Note that I'm not trying to stand in the way of progress here
and I realise that a working but less principled solution could be
better than an absent principled one.

I also think the design of instance arguments can be modified to
support a recursive instance search, reusing the less controversial
elements of the design (syntax, implicit args-like instantiation, the
"open Eq {{...}}" stuff etc.).

In case anyone is interested in ideas for a more principled direction,
I can sketch some that I've been wanting to explore, but am a bit
stuck with.  The solution would be based on a form of implicit
arguments parametrised by the "tactic" used to solve them when they
are needed at a call-site.  For an equality type class, I imagine it
would look like this:

  equal : forall {t: Set} {{findEq | eqT : Eq t}} -> t -> t -> Bool

where findEq would be a previously defined tactic used to find values
of type |Eq t| when at call sites.  In a system based on the existing
quoteGoal machinery, findEq could look like:

  data UniverseX : Set where ...
  interpretUniverseX : UniverseX -> Set
  termToUniverseX : Term -> Maybe UniverseX
  eqForUniverseX : (code : UniverseX) -> Eq (interpretUniverseX code)

  whenJust : forall {a b} {A : Set a} -> (m : Maybe A) -> (A -> Set b) -> Set b
  whenJust (just x) F = F x
  whenJust nothing _ = Lift Top

  fromJust : forall {a b} {A : Set a} (F : A -> Set b) -> (m : Maybe
A) -> ((a : A) -> F a) -> whenJust m F
  fromJust F nothing _ = lift top
  fromJust F (just x) f = f x

  findEq : (t : Term) -> whenJust (termToUniverseX t) (Eq . interpretUniverseX)
  findEq t = fromJust (Eq . interpretUniverseX) (termToUniverseX t)
eqForUniverseX

Then "equal 2 3" would be treated like "equal {t = _t} {{eqT =
quoteGoal t in findEq t}} 2 3", inferred to "equal {t = Nat} {{eqT =
quoteGoal t in findEq t}} 2 3", which would evaluate to "equal {t =
Nat} {{eqT = findEq (def 'Eq [def 'Nat])}} 2 3", which findEq should
be able to solve.

Unfortunately, I am stuck on two problems.  First, I expect this
approach could be made to work for closed types t, but what is missing
is a way for findEq to declare that it needs other Eq instances from a
caller context.  For example, for an example like
  test : forall {t} -> Eq t -> List t -> List t -> Bool
  test eqT = equal
Then one would expect findEq to notice that it can use the existing Eq
t to construct the needed Eq (List t).  Unfortunately, quoteGoal
doesn't give access to the context. This problem is what triggered my
work on typed syntactic meta-programming presented at ICFP last week,
but that work is not ready for practical use (see paper).

Secondly, the above tactics would yield a form of *closed* type
classes, while one would like them to be open.  There would need to be
a way for findEq to take into account information added afterwards by
the user.  Again: the problem is that quoteGoal does not give access
to other definitions in the user's scope.

Perhaps there is a way to solve both problems by somehow combining
them with the existing open non-recursive instance arguments, but I
haven't figured that out yet. Or perhaps quoteGoal can be extended to
give access to the context and user's scope?

Regards
Dominique