[Agda] Why is propositional equality "Set a" instead of just Set?

Dan Licata drl at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:59:55 CEST 2013

I think this assignment of universe levels makes sense in HoTT as well.
It's definitely the case that *homogenous* equality at A should be in the
same universe as A (universes are closed under identity types):

_==_ : {l}{A : Set l}(a : A) -> A -> Set l

Then, instantiating this with A = Set k and l = k+1, we have

_==_ : (a : Set k) -> Set k -> Set (k + 1)

So A == B, for A B : Set k, looks like it lives in Set (k+1), because
it is equality at a type that is in Set (k+1).

However, univalence says that A == B is "really" (equivalent to) the
type of equivalences between A and B, which are tuples consisting of a
function from A to B, a function from B to A, with proofs that they
compose to the identity, etc.  If you define A <->B this way, then it
will be in Set k, not Set (k+1).

So

 _~=_ : forall {k}{A B : Set k} -> A -> B -> Set k
 _~=_ {A}{B} a b = (Q : A <-> B) -> coerce Q a == b

will indeed live in Set k, as long as Q is an equivalence (or it's a
path, and we have some of the "resizing rules" that Voevodsky has
concerned).

Also, when equality is proof-relevant, there's a difference between Sigma and
Pi for Q : A <-> B, and we tend to work with the type
coerce Q a == b without the quantifier (a "path over a path").

-Dan