[Agda] Why is propositional equality "Set a" instead of just Set?

Dan Licata drl at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 18 22:49:34 CEST 2013

The impredicativity also shows up if you have function extensionality or
univalence.  E.g.

Set0 -> Set0 : Set1

so if equality is always in Set0, then

_==_{Set0 -> Set0} A B : Set0

But by function extensionality, A == B is equivalent to

(X : Set0) -> A X =={Set0} B X

So now there is a type in Set0 equivalent to a Pi whose domain is Set0,
which seems fishy on predicative grounds.

With univalence, you could
smuggle any bijection at any size into Set0.
But then equality is no longer a "proposition", so it's a different
setting than the original question asked about.

-Dan