[Agda] elem x (filter xs)

Andrea Vezzosi sanzhiyan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:29:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

To prove lemma1 you've to proceed like this:

lemma1 : (x : ℕ) → member x → Any (_≡_ x) (filterMem (x ∷ []))
lemma1 x mem-x with member? x
...               | (yes _) = here refl
...               | no notx = ⊥-elim (notx mem-x)

This is because the typechecker will never care that you've an assumption
like mem-x in scope, the only thing that's handled automatically is
normalization (and eta-equivalence), other reasoning has to be made
explicitly.

Also, if we add (filterMem (x ∷ [])) to our "with" then the body of the
clause will be typechecked in an environment where all occurrences
of (filterMem (x ∷ [])) are replaced by what we'll match it against,
ignoring what (filterMem (x ∷ [])) itself would evaluate to. In this case
that's only going to produce the problems you've faced in the points 1 and
4.

I think the best available explanation of the with construct is at page 45
of Ulf Norell's thesis [1] and its citations, maybe it should be ported to
the wiki. It doesn't rely too much on the earlier concepts, and those that
remain could be explained in the translation.

As for point 2. the problem is that constructors, when used in expressions,
inherit the parameters of their data-type as implicit arguments, so while
here is declared as

    here : ∀ {x xs} (px  : P x) → Any P (x ∷ xs)

as a function its type is actually

    here : ∀ {a p} {A : Set a} {P : A → Set p} {x xs} (px  : P x) → Any P
(x ∷ xs)

so you'd want to use "here {x = x} refl" in your case.

In patterns it works as if the type is still the declared one instead.

Hoping this helps,
   Andrea

[1] http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~ulfn/papers/thesis.html