[Agda] Re: Insightful let's and where's

Darryl McAdams psygnisfive at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 00:30:03 CEST 2013

It's about what's visible in the context, not what's usable. Obviously let and where things are usable. But neither show up in the context when you do C-c C-,

Notice, Guillaume, that you have x : .A, but not y : .A. This is acceptable in some situations, but not in others. It's often very useful to be able to write in a forward chaining style locally, and be able to see that you've done this without having to search through code. Note that you can obviously fake it using lambdas:

foo x = (\y -> {! !}) x

which you can abstract out into a silly thing:

    better-let : (A : Set) {B : Set} → (A → B) → A → B
    better-let A f x = f x

    syntax better-let A (λ x → y) z = better-let x :: A := z , y

which lets you now write

foo x = better-let y :: A := x , {! !}

but this is silly. lets and where's are very simple context extending things that ought to really be visible in their scopes.

- darryl