[Agda] Warning: hashable-1.2.0.x has serious performance bugs

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 20:35:25 CEST 2013

On 12/07/13 19:16, Andreas Abel wrote:
> I think that something like the following should work

Thanks!

I'll save the instructions for the next time I need to install/update Agda.

> On 12.07.2013 19:09, Martin Escardo wrote:
>> This explains a question I asked privately to you before, where I
>> reported that Agda in a high-end desktop made this year ran at the same
>> speed as in a low-end netbook made in 2008.
>
> I just came about the problem yesterday, and it took my whole day to
> find the source of evil and expell it.  Sorry for being clueless before,
> I used to trust people to only upload extensively tested libraries onto
> hackage, but now I learned the better.

I was puzzled that a clean install of ubuntu, Haskell, cabal, and Agda
produced such a slow result for me (9 minutes for an Agda file). And it
is a miracle that copying the .cabal tree from the netbook not only
worked, but also reduced the time to 50 seconds.

Thanks again. Now we know what is going on.

Martin