[Agda] How does level polymorphism fit into a valid type theory? (from "More universe polymorphism")

Guillaume Brunerie guillaume.brunerie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 23:23:53 CEST 2013

On 2013/7/1 Darryl McAdams <psygnisfive at yahoo.com> wrote:
> That's a good point, yes. I wonder if there's a way to have level-pi types
> without being inconsistent then. probably not?
>
> G, a level |-- A type a   ===>   G |- LPi a. A type ?n
>
> This probably can't work, indeed.

Maybe I misunderstood your question but Agda already has level-pi
types without (I think) being inconsistent. It just happens that in
Agda level-pi types are ordinary Pi-types indexed by the type of
universe levels.

My point was that having level-pi types distinct from other Pi types
would complicate the type theory without bringing any obvious benefit.