[Agda] How does level polymorphism fit into a valid type theory? (from "More universe polymorphism")

Guillaume Brunerie guillaume.brunerie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 18:54:05 CEST 2013

> Ok, I understand, Guillaume. The crucial thing, in your formulation
> below of transfinite universes, is that Level is a type but cannot
> live in a universe, right? (So it doesn't have a type.)

Yes, in order to have transfinite levels, the type Level cannot live
in any universe or the type theory would be inconsistent.

> By the way, have you see this? http://www2.math.uu.se/~palmgren/universe.pdf

Yes, I’ve seen it. It’s quite similar but stronger because he assumes
the existence of a super-universe which is a universe containing
itself "transfinitely many" smaller universes. I think that in my
formulation, the collection of all types corresponds basically to the
types in Palmgren’s superuniverse (also the presentation is different,
he’s not indexing the universes by levels but directly by some family
of types it should contain).

> (In the IAS HoTT mailing list, T. Coquand posted a cumulative
> system with judgements Type_n for every n (27 Feb this year,
> with subject "Russell and Tarski"). But every type does live in
> a universe, and the levels n are in the meta-language.)

That’s different, he’s explaining a way to manage universes in between
Russel and Tarski universes. But that’s interesting, thank you for
reminding me of it, I somehow missed it when he sent it.

Guillaume