[Agda] How does level polymorphism fit into a valid type theory? (from "More universe polymorphism")

Guillaume Brunerie guillaume.brunerie at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 16:05:38 CEST 2013

I forgot to mention what Agda's Setomega means. I'm not familiar with
Agda's source code, so I'm mainly guessing.

In Agda there is only one judgement "a : A", but there is a special thing
called Setomega whose only possible use is at the right-hand side of a
colon, and the judgement "A : Setomega" in Agda means exactly the same
thing as my judgement "A  type".
Setomega is not a valid term and not even a valid type, you cannot consider
Setomega -> Setomega for instance. The only use of Setomega is to embed
easily the judgment "A  type" in Agda's source code where everything was
supposed to have a type before the introduction of universe polymorphisn.

Guillaume