[Agda] More universe polymorphism

Darryl McAdams psygnisfive at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 29 12:40:14 CEST 2013

If you try to write fold for CN, and then try to define _+_ as a fold in the usual way, you'll fail right away. If you try to patch it up, you either get the same error, or you get a Set-omega error. Probably nothing you can do about this, tho.

fold : {A : Set} → A → (A → A) → Cℕ → A
fold z s n = n z s

suc : Cℕ → Cℕ
suc n z s = s (n z s)

_+′_ : Cℕ → Cℕ → Cℕ
m +′ n = fold n suc m

yields a type error because suc is obviously the wrong type. I'm not sure there's any way to translate it naturally into this form. Certainly it would be lovely if you could: you could implement a language without having to deal with inductive types ever. But levels and such.

- darryl