[Agda] More universe polymorphism

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Jun 27 01:01:03 CEST 2013

A minor reason for small level is Agda's built-in mechanism, where a
Level is a built-in postulate

   Level : Set

Of course, this reason is minor because we could just have pragma

   {-# BUILTIN LEVEL Level #-}

without postulating Level first.

I don't think there is any theoretical reason why Level should be small.
  Your suggested level supremum

   sup : {i : Level}{A : Set i} (j : A -> Level) -> Level

could interpreted as "constructor" with the usual structural ordering

   j a <= sup j.

What would be an application for transfinite levels?

Cheers,
Andreas