[Agda] Trust me regarding Dan Licata's trick

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sun Jun 16 21:13:28 CEST 2013

Thanks, Dan, for your thoughts.

It is interesting that in a paper (and corresponding Agda file) by
Nicolai Kraus, Thierry Coquand, Thorten Altenkirch and myself we can do
a lot (both positively and negatively) with hpropositional reflection
without assuming that the elimination rule holds definitionally.

In the discussion in this thread, the fact the the elimination rule
holds definitionally is crucial (without that, we don't get
extensionlity, for instance).

One question we had, and still have, is whether hpropositional
reflection is definable, without requiring that the elimination rule
holds definitionally. This seems unlikely (even more now), but it also
seems difficult to argue about that.

So I would like to repeat an open problem we posed in the paper: is
hpropositional reflection definable in intensional type theory, assuming
that the elimination rule holds propositionally but not necessarily
definitionally? This seems to be an interesting open question.

The answer is likely to be negative, but I expect to learn something new
from it.

Best,
Martin