[Agda] Trust me regarding Dan Licata's trick

Martin Escardo m.escardo at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sat Jun 8 00:29:11 CEST 2013

Hank, it would be better if somebody else answered this, but here we go.

It is indeed the case that both == (propositional equality) and J
(induction on equality) look rather weird, and two decades were spent
exploring their weirdness by the cleverest people in our field.

Personally, I am not so interested (at the moment) in homotopy per se
(but I am interested in general topology and its relation to
computation, as you know). However, the homotopy interpretation of ==
and J made me understand why they are right, or at least why they are
the way they are.

Everything that is weird about == and J is natural about paths (==) and
path induction (J). If J were to be wrong, it is nevertheless very
surprising and exciting that it is the same thing as in a different,
venerable field, and probably worth exploring what this means and what
the two different fields have to contribute to each other, which is what
a number of people are doing.

This is, of course, with a pinch of salt, as the constructive content of
HoTT is open (and an active field of research). There are probably
complementary pinches of salt in the other field, but this is what makes
research exciting.

Imagine two plate tectonics colliding with each other: an earthquake is
what you would expect, and it is what we are getting.

Best,
Martin